DCSD Shuts Down for Two More Weeks

Davenport Schools Logo

Oliver Klipsch, Writer

After two weeks of all-online learning, it looks like we’re in for two weeks more. 

The district announced this week that all-online learning for the schools of Davenport Community School District will be extended to December 16. They did note, however, that if cases return to a manageable rate, they aim to re-open as soon as possible. 

“Today, the District is informing students, families, staff, and the community, that all students from Pre-K – 12 will continue fully-remote learning until December 16, or until notified. It is the District’s priority to return to the Hybrid learning model with students and teachers engaging in in-person instruction at the earliest possible date.” 

With continually rising Iowa COVID numbers, this is not surprising. Numbers in our actual school district are rising as well. From November 7 to November 13, 80 individuals in our district tested positive, 35 are currently quarantining due to district exposure, and 30 new individuals were placed in quarantine due to district exposure. 

In Scott County, as of December 1st, there have been 11,350 cases in the last 7 days, with 6,563 cases per 100,000 people. The daily average of cases in the last 7 days is 132.1, meaning that (on average) each day last week there have been 132.1 cases. The daily average per 100,000 people is 76.4, meaning that if you randomly selected 100,000 people in scott county, about 76 would have COVID-19.

With people meeting up for Thanksgiving, it is likely that numbers will increase. In that case, we will probably have to stay home for even longer. We will have to see.