Masks Made Mandatory in Davenport Schools

Simone Hoogheem, Writer

This Thursday, September 16, the school board of Davenport Community School District passed a mask requirement with a final vote of 5-2. This mask mandate will begin on Monday, September 20th, and will require all students, staff, and district guests to wear masks while in the school buildings. The school board members who voted to not pass the mandate are Kent Paustian and Bruce Potts. Potts spoke to Local 4 News about the vote after, saying that he didn’t find a mask mandate necessary for students and staff who have the vaccine. The message informing people of the mandate was posted on the Davenport Community School’s website from Superintendent TJ Schneckloth. The message is as follows: 

“Following a special Board meeting on Thursday, September 16, the Davenport Community School District is implementing a face mask requirement for all students, staff, and visitors in our buildings and on our campuses effective Monday, September 20, 2021 and until further notice. This decision is largely based on the CDC’s strong recommendation that face masks be worn in schools, regardless of a person’s vaccination status. This requirement also aligns with the advice of our local Scott County Public Health Department.”

“While this requirement includes all individuals in our buildings, it does not include participants or spectators at outdoor events.  Students actively participating in athletic competitions, whether indoors or outdoors, are not required to wear masks.  Students and staff on the sidelines or bench are required to wear masks.”

“As a reminder and in compliance with the President’s Executive Order on domestic transportation, students and staff are required to wear a face-covering while on a school bus or while utilizing other District-provided transportation. Failure to comply with this requirement could result in loss of bus riding privileges.” 

“Thank you for your continued cooperation.”