The Student News Site of Davenport Central High School

The Blackhawk

The Blackhawk

The Blackhawk

Is SmartPass a Smart Idea?
Meet Our Staff
Rebecca Patrick
Photo Editor

Photo

Crash and Burn

The ‘Prom Crash’ Sheds Light on the Dangers of Drunk Driving
Rebecca Patrick
Jackson Jeys in handcuffs during Operation Prom.

Remember that your parents love you, your friends love you, your siblings love you… and let’s see you all back here on Monday.

— Guy Heller

On April 25, 2024, Central High School hosted a ‘Prom Crash’ simulation in the south parking lot to educate juniors and seniors on the dangers of driving under the influence. Four students, Baylee Parker (’25), Ella Strader (’25), William Browne (’25), and Jackson Jeys (’24), were recruited to act in the scene. Emergency services from all over Davenport assisted in making this simulation as realistic as possible, including our very own Officer Antle.

The crash was set up under a tarp, with the speakers playing loud music and the sound of people talking before there was the sound of screams and shattering glass. Central had explosions go off before the tarp was removed, giving the illusion that the crash actually happened. When the tarp was taken off, it was to the sight of Baylee Parker laying on the hoods of the two cars, unmoving and covered in fake blood. It was later said that she was ejected from the vehicle and died.

In the other car was a man with his daughter. He said his daughter could not feel her legs, and was infuriated to find empty alcohol bottles inside the car with the students. He asked the driver of the car, Jackson Jeys (JJ), if he had any idea what he had done.

An officer gave JJ tests to see if he was drunk, including walking in a straight line and balancing on one foot. When it was discovered he could not complete these tasks, he was put into cuffs and placed in the back of a cop car. While this was going on, the daughter from the other vehicle was removed from the car and placed on a stretcher, going to the back of an ambulance. Ella Strader, sporting a neck brace, and William Browne also were led to the ambulance.

To conclude the 11-minute presentation, a hearse rolled in, took Baylee onto a stretcher and into a body bag, and drove away.

After the simulation, students were led to the Performing Arts Center (PAC) to watch a presentation by someone who was affected by a drunk driving accident. The presentation was given by Officer Burkle, a face many students recognize from their time at Sudlow Intermediate School. Officer Burkle talked about his experience losing his best friend when a drunk driver hit another vehicle. Officer Burkle got choked up, and said that even 30 years later, it still hurts.

He also presented the 2023 statistics for car accidents and motor vehicle fatalities, and told us that the people who get in accidents most often are 16 and 17 year olds. Mr. Heller ended the presentation with a strong finish, telling students “Remember that your parents love you, your friends love you, your siblings love you… and let’s see you all back here on Monday.”