The Student News Site of Davenport Central High School

The Blackhawk

The Blackhawk

The Blackhawk

Meet Our Staff
Rebecca Patrick
Photo Editor

Photo

Piercings: Gotta Get ‘Em All!

Rebecca Patrick
The photography subject and owner of many piercings, Simone Hoogheem

For much of human history, piercings have been a huge part of culture and beauty standards around the world. Even the oldest mummy discovered had earrings. Many cultures have ear gauges that stretch the ears as a staple part of their histories and identities. You can even find earrings referenced as connected to Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth, fortune, power, beauty, fertility and prosperity. Even now, people still get body piercings as a way to connect to their ancestors and their culture. Nose piercings are a notable example and remain a custom for Indian Hindu women, typically worn as a stud in the left nostril, due to the association with female reproductive organs and many Hindu goddesses.

Side view of ear and nose piercings on Simone Hoogheem (Rebecca Patrick)

Piercings are a common way for people to express themselves, especially those who are brave enough to get more than one. There has been a huge emergence of places where you can get a piercing and online shops where you can buy jewelry since body piercings began to gain popularity in the 1990s. They were originally popular in subcultures before they became more mainstream. Now, you can’t go out in public without seeing someone with piercings, whether that is on their ears or in other places.

3 lobe piercings on Simone Hoogheem (Rebecca Patrick)

Getting a piercing can be scary, especially when the danger of infection being easy to get if you do not maintain your new jewelry properly, and the risk of being allergic to the metal that a certain jewelry is made of. Being safe, however, is easier than it seems. First, make sure the place you are going to is reputable and clean. In Davenport, one of the top recommended places is Zeitgeist Piercing & Jewelry on Utica Ridge. Your piercer should be able to inform you about the healing process, anatomy, and how the piercing is done before you even sit down in the chair. After you leave, make sure you are cleaning your jewelry with the proper solution (saline for body, alcohol free mouthwash for mouth and lips) one to two times a day. Make sure that you do not mess with the jewelry too much, as that can irritate the area and lead to a longer healing time.

Healing belly button piercing on Simone Hoogheem (Rebecca Patrick)

Piercings have a rich history, and are very easy to maintain, so if you want to get a new look, go for it!